Friday, October 31, 2014

Eighth Week: Scary Proofs for Halloween

This week was a little more difficult than the others. Even though we have been doing proofs for quite some time now, and the proof structure was pretty easy to remember, the two proofs that we completed this week were much harder. They were Big-O and Omega proofs, which are basically upper and lower bounds for worst-case scenarios of linear search programs. What was hard about these proofs was the counting of lines that the program will run through in the worst case. In particular, it was a little hard to understand why, for the Omega proof, we had to count only the lines of the innermost loop. Thankfully, these won't be on the test next week.

Speaking of the upcoming test, I'm not sure at all what this test will be on. Just proofs? Hopefully, because that seems pretty easy. It is pretty much all that we have been doing the past few weeks, and the assignment as well. Even though I am working in the group, I have managed to prove (or disprove) almost all the questions by myself, so I consider myself ready for whatever is coming up on the test. Hopefully. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment